Test Automation Framework
A Test Automation Framework is scaffolding. that provides an execution environment for the automation test scripts. The framework provides helps to develop, execute and report the automation test scripts. It is more like a system that has created to automate our tests.
Types of Test Automation Framework
an Automation Framework with the various types of Test Automation Frameworks. those are available in the marketplace. There are Automation Frameworks available nowadays. These frameworks each other based on different key factors to doing automation. like reusability, ease of maintenance etc. Let us discuss the few most used Test Automation Frameworks
- Module Based Testing Framework
- Library Architecture Testing Framework
- Data Driven Testing Framework
- Keyword Driven Testing Framework
- Hybrid Testing Framework
- Behavior Driven Development Framework
#1) Module Based Testing Framework
Module based Testing Framework is one of the known OOPs concept Abstraction. The framework divides the entire Application Under Test into many modules. For each module, we create a separate and independent test script. Thus test scripts taken together builds a larger test script module.
- The framework introduces a high level of modularization. which leads to easier and cost-efficient maintenance.
- The framework is pretty much scalable.
- If the changes of the application. the test script representing that part of the application needs to fix.
While implementing test scripts for each module. we embed the test data into the test scripts. Thus supposed to test with a different set of test data.
#2) Library Architecture Testing Framework
The Library Architecture Testing Framework is Module Based Testing Framework. Instead of dividing the application under test into test scripts. the application into common functions used by the other parts of the application. we create a common library constituting of common functions for the application. these libraries within the test scripts required.
- Like Module Based Framework. this framework introduces a high level of modularization. which leads to easier and cost efficient maintenance and scalability too.
- we create common functions use the various test scripts. Thus, the framework introduces a great degree of re-usability.
- Like Module Based Framework. the test data into the test scripts, thus any change in the test data changes in the test script as well.
- With the introduction of libraries of the framework becomes a little complicated.
#3) Data Driven Testing Framework
While automating or testing any application to test the different set of input data. Thus, in such cases, we can’t let the test data embedded in the test script. Hence it is to keep test data into some external database outside the test scripts. Data Driven Testing Framework helps the test script logic and test data from each other. It lets the user store the test data into an external database.The data is stored in Key-Value pairs. Thus, the key used to access and populate the data within the test scripts.
- The most important feature of this framework. it reduces the total number of scripts required to all the combinations of the test. The thus lesser amount of code tests a complete set of scenario.
- Any change in the test data matrix would not hamper the test script code
- Increases flexibility and maintainability
- A single test scenario executed altering the test data values.
- The process is complex and requires test data sources and reading mechanisms.
- Requires skill in a programming language.
#4) Keyword-Driven Testing Framework
The Keyword driven testing framework is an extension to Data driven Testing Framework. that it does not test data from the scripts. it also the certain set of code belonging to the test script into an external data file. These set of code known as Keywords and hence the framework is so named. Keywords are self-guiding actions needs on the application.
- Also to advantages provided by Data Driven testing. The keyword driven framework doesn’t own scripting knowledge, unlike Data Driven Testing.
- A single keyword can use across many test scripts.
- the Keyword creation mechanism to be able to the benefits provided by the framework.
- The framework becomes complicated as it grows and some new keywords introduce.
#5) Hybrid Testing Framework
The Hybrid Testing Framework is a combination of more than one mentioned frameworks. The best thing about such a setup is the benefits of all kinds of associated frameworks.
#6) Behavior Driven Development Framework
The Behavior Driven Development framework allows automation of functional validations readable. understandable format to Business Analysts, Developers, Testers. Such frameworks do not need the user to with programming language. There are different tools available for BDD. like cucumber, Jbehave.