Types of UFT (QTP) Frameworks
There are six standard automation frameworks. That is followed by the software testing domain, especially while performing automation testing. In the long run, it would be software testers of these automation frameworks. So, let’s explore these frameworks.
1.Linear Automation Framework
It is software testers do not create functions and all steps write in sequential order. Here’s to show Linear Framework, let’s assume we are automating UFT’s (QTP) Flight Application.
Advantages of Linear Framework
- Automation expertise is not necessary. We are using ‘Record‘and ‘Playback‘feature.
- Test scripts can write and it will consume minimal time to write these scripts.
- Understanding the flow is easy as the scripts written in a linear manner.
- Extensive planning is not required as built-in functionality use.
Disadvantages of Linear Framework
- Lacks reusability.
- Maintenance of Linear Framework considers being a challenge.
- All input data is hard-coded, hence test cases cannot run with many data sets.
- If the modified at any given point, a lot of rework need, as the same type of code replicates at several instances.
2. Functional Decomposition / Modular Framework
In the Functional Decomposition Framework software testers need to identify the reusable code. This requires automation. They also need to write the reusable code in various functions. That these functions can call depend on the project’s testing requirements.
Advantages of Functional Decomposition Framework
- Test scripts can create faster. The reusable functions create only once.
- Minimal effort must create test cases. Due to the availability of reusable functions.
- If any changes/modifications to the application. Changes need to update only in a single place.
Disadvantages of Functional Decomposition Framework
- Scripts cannot execute with many data sets since data is hard-coded.
- It takes extra time to identify the reusable scenarios.
- Programming knowledge needs to write and maintain the functional libraries/reusable functions.
3. Business Process Testing Framework
the Framework the test cases divide into many scenarios. Each scenario script by utilizing a Business Process Component. When all components of a particular test case are ready. These link to the test cases and execute from HP’s Quality Center Tool.
Advantages of Business Process Testing Framework
- easy for Business users to create test scripts utilizing Business process components.
- The Automation Framework offers a lot of features Component Linking and Data Parameterization. This saves a lot of time for business users. This would have otherwise spent on preparing reusable functions.
Disadvantages of Business Process Testing Framework
HP’s Quality Center Tool to perform Business Process Testing Framework. The Licensing cost should also take into consideration. It can impact the project budget.
4. Data-Driven Framework
the Input Data/Input Parameters are not hard-coded in the test scripts. These are store and passed from external files/resources. Such as Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets, Microsoft Access Tables, SQL Tables, and XML file. The test scripts connect to the external data source and read the data.
Advantages of Data-Driven Framework
- A single test executes with many data sets.
- Hard-coding avoid.
- Faster execution helps in saving time.
Disadvantages of Data-Driven Framework
- Strong technical expertise to identify external data sources. Create functions that connect to these sources.
5. Keyword Driven Framework
we can create many keywords. That allows testers to associate a unique action or function keywords. It helps software testers to create a Function Library. That holds the logic to read keywords call the associated action. A shared object repository uses to map objects to all required actions. The Keyword Driven Framework, test scenarios written in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. The Driver Action will read the scenario and perform test execution.
Advantages of Keyword Driven Framework
- After setting up the framework, writing test scripts is easy.
- Programming skills are not essential. Since a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet is generally used to write various test scenarios.
Disadvantages of Keyword Driven Framework
- A significant amount of time to set up this framework. It includes setting up Functional Libraries and Shared Object Repositories.
- An amount of time to understand the Keyword Driven Automation Framework. It is a bit complex to make any changes to this framework.
6. Hybrid Framework
The create by combining distinct features of two or more frameworks
Advantages of Hybrid Framework
- The Hybrid Framework is a feature of various Automation Frameworks.
- It is robust and flexible if implemented.
Disadvantages of Hybrid Framework
Strong technical expertise must design and maintain the Hybrid framework.